Dye 101

>> Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I had this shirt that I liked...but the color was not the best on me. It was a whitish Grey with while lace trim. I decided this morning to dye it navy blue, but I did not want to dye the lace.... What I ended up with was a pleasant surprise that I thought I would share with y'all (in case someone wants to dye something!)

First I took the shirt and tied the hemline where the lace was in a rubber band type thing to keep it contained and separate from the rest of the shirt. I tied an apron string to the rubber band and attached that to the cupboard door handle above the stove so that the lace would remain above the dye in the pot while the rest of the shirt would get dyed. Ingenious right!? Well not exactly for the result I was looking for.
You see, the dye kinda seeped through the rubber band... and got on the lace..and then only parts of it were blue. and it was splotchy.

I was a little disappointed as I rinsed the shirt so I just took it for what it was and washed the whole thing in clean water. Now the residue of dye in the shirt dyed that water and consequently made the lace a light shade of the same blue as the shirt. what I did not realize at the time was that since I bunched up the bottom of the shirt when I dyed it, I ended up making a very neat tie dye hem line that matched the rest of the shirt perfectly!

Below are some pictures of the result.












PS if you have dye (rinse) water left in the sink...try adding bleach and see what happens! In my other life I may just have to be a mad scientist.

7 comments:

Anonymous August 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM  

That shirt is so cool!! Cool, yet pretty, a good combo!! Looks great.
Sarah H.

Rachel Hipps August 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

Looks nice
Rachel

Mark Hutchins August 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

I think it looks very cool...and interesting in the good sense of the word. If I were you, I'd brag about how I meant to do exactly what I did. ;-)

Mom August 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

The shirt is beautiful but it doesn't hold a candle to your gorgeous hair!!!
Love you,
Mom

Vanessa August 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

I love it! Sometimes a mistake can makes things look great. I love the design and how the white on the bottom blends with everything else. Overall gorgeous! :)

Rachel Hipps August 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

Yes, Hillary
Your hair is so nice looking!
Rachel

Hillary Hipps August 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

Awwwwww thank you , Mom and Rachel! Elizabeth Hutchins cut it for me while I was down there last! She is wonderful, and for more reasons than just that! :-P

Thank you, Sarah dear! :D

I know you would, Mark, but you are not me.

Thanks, Vanessa! I was pretty tickled my self :-P

Blogger Template base thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com 2008; Design by: Kalistablogworks 2009

Back to TOP