Catch a Grenade
>> Thursday, January 13, 2011
When I got in the car on my way to church last night, the radio was already set to some pop station and Bruno Mars “Catch grenade” was playing. I kinda like that song so I left it play, totally unawares at how it just might be used in my life…. It came to the very end where he says :
But darling I’ll still I catch a grenade for ya
Throw my hand on a blade for you
I’d jump in front of a train for you
You know I'd do anything for you
I would go through all this pain,
Take a bullet straight through my brain,
Yes, I would die for you baby;
But you won't do the same.
No, you won’t do the same,
You wouldn’t do the same,
Ooh, you’ll never do the same,
No, no, no, no….
After hearing all what he would go through for her, I was admittedly getting a little indignant at the girl what inspired such a song; I mean what kind of idiot and selfish you-know-what would put a guy through that and wow what a ….oh my word.….that girl….is me.
When I look at it from a spiritual standpoint and if Christ was singing me that song… it would be true.
He went through all that pain, the crucifixion, hell and He went full knowing that He died for sins that were never regretted.
He was dying for people who would never care.
He was doing it knowing that they would never do the same and even never love Him, but He still gave them the chance.
And me... oh my word, I have had this revelation time and time again it seems, but I never fully learn the depth of my depravity when it comes to loving Christ.
I see myself take His sacrifice for granted just like that girl in the song, but worse… so much worse, and I ask myself, “How could I!?” .
I entirely underestimate my sinful fallen depraved nature and just how unbelievably steeped in sin I am.
I cannot even love Him with the true love that He deserves without His hand upon me to lift my soul a little bit out of the mire so that I can begin to love.
I truly am nothing without Him…but how often do I truly come to grips with that fact. Needless to say, I am unworthy but blessed and the least I can do is completely offer my life back to Him. No strings attached.
Oh and I will never listen to that Bruno Mars song the same way again!





7 comments:
good thoughts Hills! I have been thinking alot about on that subject! I Matthew 13 (46ithink) it talks about the man who was looking for a pearl, and how hefound the one, he went and sold all he had, and bought it. as i was thinking about this story, i was struck by the thought of(more like a question) "Am I the pearl? or is Christ? or Both? if so, am i willing to sell everything. give up everything just to own him?" just some thoughts on the same subject...:-) Love you!!!
Wow. That is all I can say.
Great analogy! You are so Dad's kid... finding the traces of God's love story in everything around you. Love you and can't wait to see you!
Very good Hillary. That makes a lot of sense.
Katherine
thanks for this post about this song! I mean I love this song and I had never really thought about the lyrics and its comparison to Christ.
I had the same thoughts when I listened to this a couple weeks ago!! It's amazing to me how God uses the most unique instruments to reveal to us truth......this doesn't seem like a 'godly' song, or something profitable, yet God takes it and uses it to remind us how much He has done for us.........
He is good.
~e
Great job on this! Have you heard the sing off version of this song? You can find it on youtube. It gives me goosebumps still and ive heardi t like 20-30 times! :)
Post a Comment