Unforgettable
>> Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Today I met a young man that I haven't been able to get out of my mind.
I was sitting as the only white girl in the back of the bus with several ghetto dudes who were dealing pot. Right there in front of me, packing the bags and passing the money and everything. I had Solly in my lap and we were reading stories; trying to ignore the marijuana market, foul language, lingering cigarette smell, and several days worth of BO surrounding us.
I was feeling very vulnerable and scared back there kinda hoping that they would just get off and this wouldn’t go south. The ring leader (aka the young man with the big bag of weed) spoke up and told me my baby was really cute and nice. I thanked him and then, out of the blue, he said with a particular indignation and sadness, "So that is what you got huh? Boyfriend just left you and left the lil man huh?" I clarified that I was the nanny and he complimented my nannying saying I was a great nanny and that he betted I would be well prepared when I had my own kids.
It was a simple conversation, but it broke my heart. He was one of those guys that I could see SO much potential in. He wasn’t a thug, he was just… probably doing all he had known to do all his life.
I am not sure what it was exactly, but there was something that was in him that was different than the other guys. They were all very respectful of me as much as I would hope for from their crowd, but he just stood out.
Maybe it was just that I saw so much potential in him and wished I could have offered him a real job or sent him through school and seen him succeed.
There was something about his tone and manner that made me think maybe 19-20 some years ago he was a little boy on a bus with his mama and no daddy.
Maybe it was the instant connection and tenderness I saw in his face and heard in his voice when he asked about Solly having a dad.
Maybe it was the moment of sympathy and vulnerability or a raw pain that I saw flash through his eyes when he assumed I had been abandoned with my little boy.
I don’t know what it was.
But something about him was different and utterly unforgettable.






6 comments:
What a sad story.... But it's a product of the world we live in because of sin. It just shows why we need Christ. You were a light to a world of darkness..
This was one of the repeating themes in my recent trip to San Francisco. It seems there are so many people who have just needed one genuine friend - one person who wanted to make a difference - and they would be in a very different place then they are now.
Life is so much more complicated than we would like. It is so easy to label people as "gangsters" or "potheads". Stereotypes make nice walls to hide behind. The real challenge lies with stepping out from behind our stereotypes and seeking to catch a glimpse at the beautiful soul that is within each one of us - and, if we are able - to touch it.
Thank you for sharing your story. May you continue to bless those around you, in whatever situation God puts you in.
It breaks my heart just reading that!! May we all have open eyes and hearts to look past what meets the eye and see the what God sees; a needy, precious heart!
"Life is so much more complicated than we would like. It is so easy to label people as "gangsters" or "potheads". Stereotypes make nice walls to hide behind. The real challenge lies with stepping out from behind our stereotypes and seeking to catch a glimpse at the beautiful soul that is within each one of us - and, if we are able - to touch it."
I love that Isaac, just LOVE it. It is so true.
hillary, that broke my heart! to see that people have had those horrible turns in their lifes is so sad. but theres always the person they want to be underneath:) <3 to everyone
I will be praying for that yound man!
Post a Comment