Beautiful

>> Sunday, September 21, 2008


I was disturbed, disturbed in mind and spirit. Needing to think, I headed out side for a walk. My favorite two places in the world lie on our farm. I go there to think, pray and take really cool pictures. This time it was for the former two options. I settled myself in the best thinking spot ever; an ash tree whose trunk split in half about two feet of the ground. One side grew straight up while the other curved off to the left forming a perfect seat. The sunlight dancing through the trees marbled the ferns and mossy roots on the grove floor. I leaned back against the trunk and gazed through the branches to a clear blue sky. A single white contrail marred the seamless ocean of blue staring back at me. I looked down at a little bug struggling across my jeans. He perched on my knee and stared at me, his antennas twitching curiously. I put my thumb down and he cautiously stepped aboard, carefully feeling ahead to see if it was safe to proceed. A clumsy little thing, he promptly fell off my finger and landed in my palm. As he crawled across it, I studied him. He was just shy of a half an inch long with the majority of his length lying in two perfect, transparent wings. Each vein, a light brown color, sharp in contrast to the almost clear wings. Every movement was perfect. He was Beautiful. Every centimeter of his being sang his creators praise and creativity. A breath of wind blew my beautifully clumsy friend off my palm and away. As I pondered what I had just seen, I began applying it to myself. By all standards of the world I would not call my self Beautiful or even Pretty. I looked at my hand where the bug had just been; each finger and joint so perfectly formed. Thinking of the design and handiwork of my creator I was awestruck. Though to the world I am just another face, to Him I am Beautiful. Beautiful, because I am His.

7 comments:

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

What a beautiful post from a very beautiful young woman. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Hillary. A very thoughtful post indeed. Love you Honey, Mom

Alicia September 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

What a great God we have! He is able to comfort us even in the hardest times, even through the smallest things.

(I found you through the Rebelution. Praying for you, my sister in Christ!)

Kimberly Sorrell September 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

Thanks for posting Hillary. I love hearing about you all.
Praying for you. Keep encouraged!
~Kimberly

Anonymous September 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

This was an amazing post Hillary, from all I've read and heard about you i can't wait to get to know you better. I'm keeping all the Hipps family in my prayers.
*~Casey~*

Anonymous September 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

Thank you, Hillary, for encouraging all of us with that reflection. I needed it :-)

~ Caroline

Noelle Otto September 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM  

What an encouraging post! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous October 31, 2008 at 2:10 PM  

Aaaaah wait wait wait- don't do it! SOMEONE TAKE THE HATCHET AWAY... Hillary step away from the hatchet! lol! jk! But you do look a little too hatchet happy- it's desturbing! lol! love you girlfriend! :)

Blogger Template base thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com 2008; Design by: Kalistablogworks 2009

Back to TOP