Hope Chest

>> Friday, December 5, 2008

I have always wanted a hope chest...but, I had NEVER seen one that I liked. Until like a month ago at goodwill...I loved it. BUT, It was too expensive. I went back a few weeks later. The price had been cut by more than HALF. but nope... Then we went again yesterday. It was gone! I was sad. This morning I go out on the porch to see my final birthday present...THERE IT WAS! I was VERY surprised and pleased.
I played with...
I took pictures of...
I sat on...
I loved...
THANK

YOU DADDY!





























10 comments:

Anonymous December 6, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

It is AMAZING!! What a cool chest! Something to pass on to your daughters. ***specialness***
Love your outfit too. :)
Sarah H.

Jacob December 6, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

Hey, Hillary.

Since I first heard about the "hope chest" concept, I've doubted its spiritual merits. Isn't our hope supposed to be in the Lord alone?

What if He has other plans for your life? See, for example, Corrie Ten Boom. Didn't the Lord give her the best she could have had? Of course, I wouldn't encourage you to hope for her lot in life! Rather, I just think it's probably better to leave things a little more open ended.

Certainly, those whom the Lord blesses with the ability to have a family and children should gratefully receive those blessings. Go ahead and prepare for the natural role God usually plans for women. But don't set your hopes on that, but rather on Christ.

Let me know what you think.

--Jacob

P.S. This is not an attack; it's an honest query-- and, yes, it's a challenge. :)

~Cassie December 6, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

Wow very cool I love it!! My Dad is building me one right now! I can't wait till it's done! Happy Birthday!

~Cassie

Iron sharpeneth iron......Prov. 27:17 December 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

I love that HopeChest!! I have to admitt when you described it to me yesterday, I was a bit confused, but it it absolutely beautiful!! SO neat!!
And it looks so big, with lots of space to store those special keepsakes!!
It was great to talk to you yesterday!! Hopefully I can touch base again soon!
Love and Prayers,
~Elizabeth

Anonymous December 6, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

Congratulations, Hillary; it's lovely :)

I appreciated the thought and honesty in Jacob's post. I have a hope chest myself, and it's good to be reminded to set our hopes on Christ alone.

Happy 17'th birthday, by the way! God bless you!

~ Caroline

Anonymous December 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

Hey, beauty!
The way your face lit up when you realized you got the chest was priceless. You have worked hard to serve your family during some tough times...I know it was important to your dad to show you how much he appreciates and loves you.

As far as Jacob's comment...
I do agree with him that our hope should be in Christ. However, I also believe that God allows us the opportunity to dream.

Just like our discussion over dinner tonight...when we delight in Him, He gives us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4). The "desires" is two-fold: 1) hopes/dreams in alignment with His Will that comes from abiding in Him; but, also, 2) the enchantments of our heart that us girls are famous for having. *grin*

I don't think the issue is "either, or"...I think the issue is making sure you do both -- placing your hope in the Lord AND allowing Him to grow that hope into dreams for your future. He says to us in Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"

Love,
-Lo

Kimberly Sorrell December 7, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

Happy Birthday Hillary!!!
Hope you had a GREAT day!

Nice hope chest!
Good thoughts on the hopechest. I never was too big on hope chest, because I never knew if I'd get married or not. But now that I'm engaged I realize that I wasn't real prepared in some of those things.
So...final conclusion, I guess you can do whatever you want! There is no right or wrong.
But yes, our final hope is in God! He is over everything. If we only knew what our life would be in 50 years froom now. :)
Hope all is well with you all!
Blessing!!

Emily December 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

WOW!! That is sooo nice!! It's way better than just a box!! Those drawers are nice!

-Emily

Anonymous December 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM  

Happy Birthday Hillary! You so deserve one.I am so glad your dad got you that hope chest. He is a good guy. Fill it with lots of hopeful things. I have no doubt that your hope is in the Lord. Take care sweetie.
Kathy

Anonymous December 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

What a wonderful hope chest! I've never seen anything quite like it. I have had two hope chests in my life. One was from when I was in high school. I think I got it for a birthday present too. Unfortunately, it was stolen. The other one, which I still have, belonged to your Great Grandmother Edythe who was married in 1931, so you can imagine how old it is. I know you'll cherish your beautiful hope chest too.

I love you,
Grammy

Blogger Template base thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com 2008; Design by: Kalistablogworks 2009

Back to TOP