Stretching
>> Saturday, May 16, 2009
As some of you know I have been working for the past oh 9 months or so stretching to be able to do the splits. Both kinds of splits. A little bit at a time every night or so I would push my self closer and closer to the floor. Some days I would go so far the night before that I had to take a few days off to allow my body time to adjust. A few weeks ago I finally reached the point where I could do the "normal" splits without stretching first. (I am still about 3 in from the floor with the Chinese splits).
Something else has been happening in my life the last few months that I realized this evening was a striking parallel to my "splits exercising". God has been stretching me. Little by little He has been molding me to His image. There have been days when I hurt so bad from the constant stretching, and He would give me a little time of bliss to rest before He added more pressure.
If I take a little time every day to quick do the splits it may be a long time before I lose the ability to do them. Likewise (even though God is never done teaching me) if I put into practice daily what He is teaching me now, He can use it for His glory and use the time we have to bring more things into my life that draw me closer to Him.





14 comments:
Amen, sister!
And the Lord's been working on me with the "spiritual splits" too :)
~Noelle
Great analogy!
"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." -1st Tim 4:8
Love you lots,
-Lo
Wowl! Way to go! I wish I could do the splits like that. Great insight with comparing the stretching to the spiritual walk.
You are AWESOME, Girl!! Love you! BT
Beautiful parallel, Hillary.
Wow! Good post :)
Wonderful Parallel!
I am a dancer and I worked for about nine months before I could do the splits.
I am sure though that I will never be able to do the "spiritual splits", I hope that God never finishes stretching me into his image!
You never cease to amaze me. Got the physical AND the spiritual. Way to go girl.
Kathy G
If I can add to that...
I've been a gymnastics coach for about 11 years. It's interesting to me how the younger you are, the more naturally the splits come to you. I've seen three year olds sit into the splits on their first try. Probably because they are born extremely flexible, which is the only way they can escape the womb. By the age of 12, it is already nearly impossible to attain the splits without a lot of stretching.
So, I guess if you start young, it's easier to be stretched-in the spiritual sense as well. you were right-the longer we go without stretching, the harder it becomes to reform.
I can do the splits easily and always could. I suppose that's because I just learned as a kid, and never lost the ability. So, once splits are attained, the only way to challenge yourself is to go on to something new-handstands, perhaps. :)
I tried to do that...but I think I gave up after three months. Maybe I should start again. You give me a new perspective. It can be done!!
I am STILL trying to do splits! LOL. That was a great post!
Great analogy, Hillary!! Some of the best things in life come through pain.
Hope you're doing well-- maybe I'll see you sometime soon.
Prayin' for ya,
~Elizabeth
Wow! I don't think I could do that in a zillion years!
-Rachel, your cousin
Wow Hillary I'm impressed but not surprised. You were quite determined to be able to do the splits. haha Lots of Love ~michelle
Post a Comment