Lord Of The Rings
>> Sunday, March 15, 2009

I know that most of the craze over J.R.R Tolkien's cherished bit of writing and the movies they based off of them is pretty much over.
However, at the recommendation of quite a few people I decided to read the "Lord Of The Rings Trilogy".
I borrowed all three books in one rather plump volume from the library and read it in little pieces over the course of a few weeks. I have more than a few thoughts on the whole book but I want to share one thing that particularly stuck out to me in the way of life lessons.
The number one lesson I think I learned or saw was from everyone's favorite character....Gollum.
When Gollum first gave in to his lust after the ring, and killed his cousin for it, he made a choice that would dictate his life and eventually his death as well.
He chose to leave the light and walk in darkness. When the ring was taken from him he was constantly drawn to it and spent his entire life trying to get it back. A slave to evil, his ultimate climax in the story came when he regained the ring, only to fall and be destroyed in the fire of doom with the ring in his hand.
While this is a fictitious story, I found it very interesting just how, more often than not, it lined up with how we act today. We take that first step towards darkness, be it harboring bitterness, rejecting the truth, opening our minds to pollution, or any manner of things, and we are faced with the choice to let it grow or let it go.
Gollum wanted his “precious”; he lived and died for it. We want our sin. Will we live and die for it? Or will we live in light of Hebrews 12:1-3 ?
“1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart”
All that said I greatly appreciated the book/s, I don’t think I will have the nerve to watch the movies :), Aside from the few eye openers about certain aspects of the christian walk , like the one I said above, I did not see the parallel in “Lord Of The Rings” like in “The Chronicles Of Narnia” that I was told there was. I also read the hobbit, and I found it a very ‘cute’ book. I loved Tolkien's writing style in the “Hobbit”. And I know a few people who do a very good job at imitating it.
Thoughts from anyone are more than welcome in the comments section!
*Picture thanks to Google images





10 comments:
Thanks for putting those thought up there! I agree, when we start on the path to doing what "we" want, we only wind up destroying ourselves. Maybe doing what we want is not the right way to say it, I guess it would be better to say that it is when we turn from the truth and accept something else as truth. Now I am rambling... Thanks for sharing!
I agree too...and the first little steps can turn out really harmful.
I have to admit I haven't read LOTR either...but I appreciate that you aren't set on making parallels between it & the Bible, or between it & The Chronicles of Narnia. From what I've heard, it's actually quite different.
I'd better quit before I start rambling too... hope you are doing well. :)
~ Caroline
I think the story of Gollum (and the ring) also illustrates that not only does enslavement to sin eventually result in our destruction...it also illustrates that sin cannot satisfy us or make us happy for more than a moment.
The ring did not make Gollum happy. All it ever gave him was misery. But Gollum still pursued it in the false hope that it would.
I have always wondered if, translating the story into a real life train of thought, Gollum would forsake the ring if he realized that it could not bring him what he needed.
It had such a powerful hold on him that it seems unlikely that he would ever get to that point, but still...
Emily and Caroline, Don't worry about rambling.. I like peoples rambling thoughts!
Mark, I had thought of that way back in my thoughts but had not defined them to that extent. It is very true, as much as he (Gollum) craved the ring it was a misery to him when he had it. Even when Frodo had the ring it weighed him down physically as well as spiritually.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone!
There is no "alegorical" meaning to LOTR. Tolkien himself said that he did not want anyone trying to find the gospel in his books because it wasn't meant to be there.
I have heard the same thing as well. Apparently it's in the beginning of one of the books.
I have read the entire LotR, the hobbit, the Silmarillion, the Lays of Beleriand, the Books of the Lost Tales I & II, the Letters of JRR Tolkien, the Tolkien Reader, and a few other books by him. I know a lot about LotR and its background. I love it.
You did a very good job portraying the important object lesson given in Gollum's life. This lesson was one of the few that actually made it into the movies (I have watched the extended editions twice as well), for which I am glad.
As to the question Mark brought up about if Gollum could possibly have rejected the ring if he realized its worthlessness: he almost did do that, and Bilbo did. Bilbo realized the ring's hold on him and its weight on him, and he rejected it in the end, although it was very hard. Gollum almost made the same decision out of his love for Frodo in the pass of Cirith Ungol. But his decision to hate Sam overrode his last qualms about giving them to Shelob.
It is true that JRR Tolkien never wanted his story to be called an allegory. He wanted it to be just a good story. Yet he also pointed out that his Christian faith, because it was so real to him, made it into the story. He could not keep it out. So that is where lies the morals. Mordor is not a 'picture' of anything, but simply what happens when evil is rampant.
Has anybody noticed why LotR does not use 'good magic' and 'bad magic?'
Do you mind if I quote this on my blog?
No, Jay, I don't mind at all. Be my guest, and thank you for the link :D
Thank you, and you are welcome!
Post a Comment