>> Sunday, July 27, 2008

This is what I have chewing on ever since the Rebelution Conference.
I’ve been thinking a lot about doing hard things in regards to my attitude. How does the attitude I maintain portray my life as an element of God’s kingdom, and a Rebelutionary in my generation? Am I truly rejoicing in the life I have been granted by God? Or do I gripe and fuss because. ‘Hey, face it, life is not always easy’? Or am I straining ahead to what might be in the future instead of enjoying and making the most of every day in the place God has me now? Having a godly attitude is hard, let me explain….
My current situation has me staying at home watching my younger siblings, trying to keep the house clean and doing all the laundry for a family of 11 people. As of current I have virtually no options to do what I used to call ‘important’ hard things.
If you went to the Conference or read the book you have for sure heard about the ‘important’ hard thing that are getting done by your fellow Rebelutionaries, they are raising millions for orphans, writing books, producing films, and digging wells in Africa. Now if you are anything like me you looked at them and thought, “Man, if only I was somewhere else; that could be me”
I have often asked the question: “ God, why couldn’t you have given me a hard thing that would make a more significant impact in the big picture”. For me, making my bed, doing dishes, folding laundry…all that is normal expected actions I have done all my life, but doing it with a joyful and grateful attitude, now that is HARD! I mean who is going to know or even care for that matter that I held my temper with my sister today. Honestly 99.99999% of this world is not going to give a rip if you kept from losing your cool or not, and even if they notice you can be sure you will not hear about it. I say 99.99999% because your sister is sure to care if you blow up at her; you might even hear something from your parents if you really got heated. But, letting it go and being patient is not going to see the president hanging the Best Teen medal round your neck and giving a speech on how well you controlled your temper.
Which is exactly why it seems so much harder to cheerfully wash the dishes, patiently amuse your baby brother for hours on end, or say no to your temper and turn the other cheek instead. No one is going to pat you on the back and ask you to come speak to their youth group because you did your chores with a good attitude. In fact it will seem at the time that no one cares at all whether you make the effort to have a good attitude.
But, God does! He sees, He cares, and it is for Him and His glory that we do hard things in the first place! It may seem like it is not really important to have a good attitude wherever God has you today but, this is part of God’s training camp for your future; the clearing of your launching pad so to speak.
It is just as hard of a thing in God’s eyes for my to rejoice in folding laundry and changing dirty diapers, as it is for Alex and Brett to travel country wide ministering through the conference, or for ‘Hoops of Hope’ to go world wide in its endeavor. God has me in one place and them in another. All three are equally important.
The hard thing God has given me to do for today is to rejoice, be content, and to mirror my life after His. Right now that mirror reflects mountains of laundry, whiny kids, a messy house, and a joyful spirit. My heart attitude is my hard thing!
How about you?
What is your “Hard Attitude”?





13 comments:
wow. That's definately something to chew on. Being content and having a joyful attitude no matter what is happening in family life...hmmm. Very convicting. It's sure nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling in that area! Thanks for posting, it was sooo encouraging. ; )
Right On, Hillary! That was a very well-put writing of your thoughts; very coherent. I wonder what you could do to make folding laundry more of a joy and less of a drudgery? Good job in not losing your temper today! Love, BT
AMEN!!! Preach it, Sister!! Well, said and so true. Do not despise the small beginings, the heart attitudes are what really are going to matter on that final day, not how many wells in Africa you dug. Thanks for being honest, and for so often encouraging me in my "hard attitude". I love you!!
Emily
WOW!!! I have been talking to a lady at my church, and a very good friend, about starting a private study/accountability thing between her and I and my thought was on attitude as our first deep topical study!! That is definitely something to think about! What is my attitude, even if I'm not doing something super important?
Thanks for sharing!
--Emily
Oh thank you for posting Hillary! That was just what I needed to hear/read: ) Thank you so much!
Excellent words, very encouraging. May the LORD give you grace to have a "hard" heart attitude. Just think of the hard things 400 years of Israelites endured in Egypt, all according to God's will.
I agree; very convicting. Thank you for the reminder to do Everything "heartily, as to the Lord." :-)
Yes, Thank you.:D ~CV~
Amen, Hillary!
I've been praying for you and your family. Keep seeking to glorify Him in whatever situation He puts you because that is truly where you CAN glorify Him most! (If only it wasn't the hardest, right! ;o)
*hugs!* I can tell the Lord is using this situation to mold you into a beautiful woman after His own heart! Keep on keeping on!
In Christ,
Tara (from the Rebelution!)
“Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.“ 2 Corinthians 5:9
Hillary!, Not only are you an amazing photographer but you are a fantastic writer with excellent things to share. I am so proud to call you my daughter. This was a fantabulous meditation and even folks who aren't teens can learn and grow from thinking on these good, pure, noble, lovely, excellent and worthy of praise thoughts that you have written here.
I love you,
Your Proud Mama
Thanks for posting that Hillary!! I know many people were blessed by reading your thoughts-- me included!!
The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but we must learn to bloom right where the Lord plants us!!
Love and Prayers headed your way!!
~Elizabeth
"I mean who is going to know or even care for that matter that I held my temper with my sister today."
Your sister will know.
I was just thinking the other day that my ambitions are misplaced... "The people that do know their God will be strong and do exploits" but the world and the enemy offers exploits, fame, danger, excitement, and thrills RIGHT NOW, and you don't have to pay until later. I found out that you DO have to pay later. And it's not worth it.
The Lord's way is exactly opposite. Elijah, Joseph, Moses, Daniel, (since I am a guy all of my heroes are guys! But let's throw some ladies in there too...), Mary, Esther, Jael, and all the other great men and women of God didn't start out being strong and doing exploits. They served the Lord with joy and simplicity right where they were, and throughout the course of their every-day lives, they found themselves in pivotal places, doing pivotal things.
In fact, the Bible also mentions a few people (consider King Saul and king Solomon) who did "great things" for the Lord, and it didn't do them a lick of good because, at the end of their lives, they weren't found walking with Him. This flies in the face of the idea that we can have a couple of achievements and then "retire" from service. We need to guard our hearts, and be faithful in little, so that the Lord can say to us, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of the Lord" (paraphrase).
Hey Hillary,
I was just browsing through your blog and came upon this post. I was very blessed by it and think it was spot on! God doesn't glory in people who do big things...God glories in people who obey Him and are satisfied in Him. Whether He chooses to work "big things" through them (from a human standpoint) is quite beside the point for the Christian.
Thanks for the thoughts!
-Mark Hutchins
Post a Comment